What I'm Reading


Books. They feed me in so many ways. It is difficult to resist their siren call (books before art supplies and almost anything else in this family!) 

The mailman brought me the latest issue of Womankind magazine (ooh, lots of Halloween in this issue) as well as a used (and inexpensive, yay!) copy of The Haunted Self (which has been a high priority book for the last couple of years for me.) Another scrumptious book to add to the shelf of surrealist books that I have collected. I'm really glad that I was able to find it at a decent price as the last time I saw it, it was $95.

I passed on a copy of Frida Kahlo and Her Worlds. My shelf is bursting with books on Kahlo (after seeing the old photo, I may have to take a new photo soon as there have been quite a few additions.) I need to flip through my other Frida books and double check the artwork as it seems there were a handful of pieces that I haven't seen before (but, I could be very wrong!) I sat in the bookstore repeatedly flipping through the book and trying to find reviews of it online. I'm trying not to regret passing it up as I may pick it up in a future visit (if it's still there.) I need room on my shelves to eventually buy Frida Kahlo: Photographs of Myself and Others (I have all of the other photo books of Frida and originally thought that this wasn't a must have but after doing some research, I decided that it is.)

One book that I couldn't pass up last night was Van Gogh: The Life. We were at Alias Books East in Atwater Village and I was delighted to see an affordable hardcover copy of it in pristine condition. When I flip over an artist, I go all out. Van Gogh is definitely high on my list of most favorite artists (as is Frida.) For the price, condition and hardcover format, I couldn't pass it up. I'm really looking forward to reading it. Now if I could only talk myself out of wanting (yet another copy of) Van Gogh's Letters. I guess I'll have to stop giving my husband crap over having multiple copies (different editions) of some of his favorite books (though I'll never stop teasing him for practically ripping a copy of one those titles out of my hands in 1996.)

What are you reading?

Comments

Popular Posts