What You'll Find Here

I post daily (photos of my journal pages, things that inspire me and personal bits and pieces) to inspire and encourage others. I have always believed that if I can do it, so can you.

You'll find resources (my favorite supplies, books, slideshows of my art journal pages, favorite bloggers, etc...) listed along the right hand side of my blog.

I've been teaching both in person and online workshops for over seventeen years now. You can find out more about my classes by scrolling down along the right hand side of my blog. I strive to make classes accessible to everyone (both beginner to advanced).

I love teaching and truly believe that deep down inside everyone is an artist, capable of creating something. There is power and knowledge in the act of creating something with your own hands, made from your own heart and head.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for stopping by!

-Kelly

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Where I Shop for Art Supplies and Books in Los Angeles

4 June 2010 Journal Page
I thought I'd do a quick run down of some of my favorite places to shop for art supplies and books in the Los Angeles area:

Art Stuff:
Kinokuniya-Los Angeles-pens, paper, tape, books, etc...
Nova color-Los Angeles-where I buy ALL of my paints and mediums
Kelly Paper-Los Angeles-where I buy my 140 lb wausau exact index paper

UPDATE September 2013: The Wausau Mills shut down last year. 140 lb Wausau Exact Index is available now as 140 lb exact index made by Neenah Papers. Kelly Paper does not carry it in the store except as a special order (and you need to order a CASE of either 8 1/2 x 11" or parent size paper.) I have been buying 110 lb cardstock because I do not have the space to store a case of paper.
Graphaids Los Angeles-Mom and Pop art store...
Artist and Craftsman-awesome selection of handmade and decorative paper at great prices, tons of art supplies!
Dick Blick Los Angeles-Fun to wander

Blue Rooster Los Angeles-will order almost anything. Small but well stocked!
Paper Source Pasadena and Beverly Hills-Fun paper store. I don't like the BH store since they downsized on paper. I prefer the Pasadena store. Lucky me that they opened another store on Fairfax and Third!
Sticker Planet Los Angeles-the name says it all...tons of stickers in a store that's a little bigger than my bathroom.

Kinokuniya Downtown LA-books, paper, washi tape, stamps, pens and more!
 
Artsy:
Folk Tree Pasadena

Word Is Art Gallery Los Angeles
Firefly Venice
Urbanic Paper Boutique Venice

Books:
I'm not going to comment on each bookstore. We try to go to each one every few weeks. Some we go to more frequently than others.


Iliad North Hollywood-My Favorite Bookstore. Ever.
Alias East Atwater Village
Alias West West Los Angeles

Sideshow Books West Los Angeles
Last Bookstore Los Angeles
Skylight Books Los Angeles
Soap Plant/Wacko Los Angeles
Book Soup Los Angeles
Vromans Pasadena
Brand Bookshop Glendale
Mystery and Imagination Bookshop Glendale
Meltdown Comics Los Angeles
Golden Apple Comics Los Angeles

Melrose Music Los Angeles
Family Los Angeles
Giant Robot Los Angeles
Kinokuniya Downtown LA-books, paper, washi tape, stamps, pens and more!
Book Alley Pasadena

Century Books Pasadena

For those of you in the L.A., or who have shopped in L.A., what are your favorite places?

10 comments:

~Barb~ said...

Wish I could come to LA...I'd go shop at every store you mentioned. And the bookstores? OH MY! I would get in serious trouble there. LOL

Where do you find your images? This is seriously my very favorite of your journal pages...I absolutely LOVE it and wish I could find images to use like yours. Always so peaceful. Mmmmm.

Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Jazz said...

I wanna be in LA!!!

Sandy said...

I love this page and have that same image just waiting to be used.

I wish I could spend just 2 weeks shopping in CA and taking some of your classes. Some day soon. It would be the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing all the information and links.

M said...

Hennessey and Ingalls book store in Santa Monica-nothing but art and architecture books.
The Folk Tree in Pasadena.

GoodchefT said...

That reminds me to go check out the Graphaids/Lyons in Long Beach. I haven't popped in that store in years.

freebird said...

Wow. When I go out to visit my daughter I'll have to pull up the list for Pasadena stores. Her mother-in-law lives over by there in Temple City so we could shop and meet her for lunch some day.

lostinart said...

Wow, that's quite a list Kelly. Thanks for posting this. It took some time I am sure and I will really appreciate using it when I am there.

lostinart said...

Thank you so much Kelly. What a nice thing for you to do. I hope I can get around to even a fourth of these. Maggie

Moo's Moments said...

I love this page, so peaceful :)

gypsy said...

Thank you Kelly!!!